Railway services resume at triple-train crash site in eastern India
Normal rail traffic resumed on Sunday at the site where the triple-train crash had occurred in India's eastern state of Odisha, announced the Federal Ministry of Railways on Monday.
The restoration work was completed with continuous monitoring and both up and down lines were declared fit, said the Indian Railways in a statement.
Two passenger trains crashed into a stationary goods train in the Balasore district of Odisha on Friday evening. Around 1,175 people were injured in the accident, which is believed as the worst train accident over the past decade in the country.
Odisha Chief Secretary Pradeep Jena on Sunday clarified the number of casualties in the horrific accident. He said the death toll was revised down from 288 to 275 after it was found that some bodies had been counted twice.
Meanwhile, the federal government has assigned a probe into the crash by the country's ace investigating agency, the Central Bureau of Investigation.
A driver involved in Friday’s crash died of series injuries. He had said he moved forward on a loop line only after he saw a green signal before the accident happened. The train was on the line that the freight train was stationed.
Minister of Railways Ashwini Vaishnaw said on Sunday that according to the preliminary probe, the point machine and signal lights were out of operation due to the signal problem of the electronic interlocking system, which led to passenger trains crashing into the wrong line.
The electronic interlocking system is a safety measure designed to prevent conflicting movements between trains on tracks.